Daily Schedule at University
University High School’s school hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
University High School opens at 7:20 a.m. each day that school is in session. Students who have completed their self-screening form for the day can arrive as early as 7:20 a.m.
For the 2020-21 school year, University High School launched a redesigned daily schedule to be used throughout the school year. This new schedule is flexible enough to be used whether students are on campus, fully in e-learning, or split 50/50 between the two.
Features of the new R1/R2 schedule include:
- Each class will meet for 65 minutes every other day, so students will have no more than 3-4 academic classes on a given day.
- Passing periods are extended to 15 minutes, which facilitates the safety needs of students on campus and helps mitigate Zoom fatigue for those in e-learning.
- There is dedicated handwashing time before and after lunch.
- A 15-minute Community Meeting has returned to the daily schedule. For the time being, we expect students will remain in their classrooms and the meeting will be held virtually.
- Academic Flex Time is built into each day, giving students dedicated time for visiting teachers’ office hours, taking reassessments, holding club meetings, and working on small group projects.
- The new Seminar Period will be dedicated time for students to engage in community building, student wellness, (virtual) assemblies, and more. While the Seminar Period is not an academic course and will not have homework or traditional assessments, it is part of the daily schedule and students are expected to attend.
Amended Daily Schedule for January Term
During January Term, regular classes run from 9:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. daily. Each day is broken into three sessions, as shown below. Also, AP classes generally meet twice a week before school, on a rotating basis; this allows the AP courses to continue studies through January Term. The schedule for AP meetings will be posted online in late December each year.
7:45-8:25 a.m. — AP Class Session 1
8:30-9:10 a.m. — AP Class Session 2
9:15-10:40 a.m. — J-Term Session 1
10:45-11:00 a.m. — Morning Meeting
11:05 a.m.-12:25 p.m. — J-Term Session 2
12:30-1:10 p.m. — Lunch
1:15-3:15 p.m. — J-Term Session 3